Recycling & Transfer Station
Welcome to the Recycling & Transfer Station Home Page!
Leaf Sundays are here!
All Sundays in November, 10 am-4pm
Residents only (no contractors)--leaves only
Tuesday- Saturday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Residential RTS stickers are now issued at no charge to Needham residents. Your current grey RTS sticker does not need to be renewed. View additional sticker applications or commercial hauler rates.
The Town of Needham provides residents with recycling and waste disposal services at the town's transfer station, referred to as the RTS (Recycling and Transfer Station) or more affectionately "The Dump." The RTS is a residential drop-off facility with a two-tier pay-per-throw program. To use the RTS residents must display a current sticker and also purchase special bags for their non-recyclable trash. The bag fees help to cover the costs for operating the RTS. There is no fee for most recycling, so residents save money by recycling more and throwing away less.
Only residents or commercial entities whose vehicles have an up-to-date sticker affixed to their vehicle window may enter the RTS. The current (gray) resident sticker does not need to be renewed annually. Commercial stickers need to be renewed by March 31st. View an application and current rates.
Recycling & Safe Disposal
Needham residents who have a current sticker may bring many recyclable items to the RTS for recycling or safe disposal. The more you recycle the more your save! Most of the items are accepted at no additional cost, a few have additional fees. View details.
Yellow Trash Bags
Residents must purchase special Yellow Trash bags to dispose of their non-recyclable trash at the RTS. Bags come in large (30-gallon) and small (15-gallon) sizes and are available at a variety of local stores. For details click here.
Bulky Waste & Clean-Outs
Bulky waste may be disposed of at the transfer station for a fee, larger quantities and clean-outs for $140 per ton. Payment at the RTS scale house is by check or credit card only. Payments can also be mailed or brought to Town Hall where cash, checks and credit cards are accepted. Check-in with the office attendant for details.
What We Take
MAIN DROP-OFF AREA
- Mixed Paper
- Corrugated Cardboard Boxes
- Glass, Metal & Plastic Household Product Containers
- Non-Recyclable Trash - (Require Yellow PAY bags)
ORGANICS PROCESSING AREA
- Leaves & Grass
- Brush & Branches
- Furniture, etc.
- Clean-outs, etc.
RE-USE-IT SWAP SHOP
- Bring items you no longer want or need; take away items you can use. Everything is free. All items must be in good working condition.
- No drop-off of items after 3 p.m.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR REUSE, RECYCLING & SAFE DISPOSAL
- Appliances and Freon Items*
- Automobile Batteries
- Automotive Fluids
- Batteries - Rechargeable and Button Batteries
- Cell Phones
- Clothing and other Textiles - in any condition
- Computer Monitors (CRTs)*
- Deposit Bottles / Cans - Carbonated Beverage Containers
- Fluorescent Lamps (all sizes)
- Household Items for donation (small)
- Medical Sharps
- Mercury Containing Devices
- Paint - Third Saturday of the month April to October
- Plastic - Large rigid plastic items
- Printer Cartridges
- Propane Tanks*
- Scrap Metal
Tuesday, December 24, 2019 (Christmas Eve) -7:30-12 noon
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 (Christmas Eve) - CLOSED